- 1-1/2 pound(s) potates, peeled and cubed
- Salt, to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour, plus extra if needed
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 8 slices HOFFY Bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) melted butter, for drizzling
- 2 tablespoon(s) fresh chives, snipped
- 1 sprig fresh dill, rinsed and roughly chopped
Dinner Comfort food goes upscale with all the favorite add-ins: smoky bacon, fresh chives, sautéed onions and butter.
- Place the prepared potatoes in a large saucepan with enough salted water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain well in a colander; return to pan or bowl and mash thoroughly. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the beaten eggs, cooled mashed potatoes, flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until mixture holds together and a heavy dough forms. If the dough is wet and not holding together, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is sticky and dumplings can be formed.
- Divide the potato dough into 8 equal portions and shape into dumplings.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Carefully, drop the dumplings into the boiling water and cook for about 10 minutes, or until the dumplings float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Meanwhile, place chopped bacon and onion in a skillet, set over medium heat. Cook for several minutes until the bacon renders fat. Place the hot dumplings into the skillet; cook until the bacon is crisp and slightly browned. Transfer dumplings to a serving bowl. Drizzle with melted butter and garnish with fresh chives and dill. Serve.