- 12 ounce(s) HOFFY Premium Thick Sliced Bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 4 medium baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) Half & Half or Whole Milk
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground pepper
- Hot sauce, to taste
Side Dish This super simple, rich and creamy soup will warm you during the colder months; the bacon adds great flavor and texture. Add some crusty bread and a simple green salad and you have a dinner everyone will love.
- In a soup pot over medium-low heat, cook the bacon until crisp.
- Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and set aside, leaving the fat from the bacon in the pot.
- Add the diced onion and sauté over medium heat until tender and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, chicken broth, fresh thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaf from the pot.
- Using an immersion blender or carefully blending the soup in batches in the blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the half and half.
- Bring the soup back to a simmer, add hot sauce and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve hot, garnished with the crispy bacon.