- 1/2 pound(s) HOFFY bacon, diced
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, diced
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) fresh thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 3 cup(s) chicken stock
- 1 bottle(s) (8-ounce) clam juice
- 2 cup(s) Half-and-Half
- 2 cans (10-oz) whole baby clams, drained
- dash of hot sauce
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
Dinner A great dinner standby, this rich, delicious chowder is the perfect comfort food…and it’s chock-full of bacon!
Recipe created especially for HOFFY by Chef Jamie Gwen.
- Sauté the Hoffy bacon in a large kettle or stockpot over medium heat. When crisp, remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onions to the bacon grease and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, garlic and thyme and sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, add half of the bacon back to the soup along with the clam juice, half & half, clams, hot sauce and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer (do not boil), and simmer for 5 minutes or until heated through.