- 1 pound(s) pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 HOFFY Hot Italian, (or your favorite variety) Sausages cut into 3/4 inch slices*
- 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Dijon mustard
- 3 cup(s) shredded cheddar cheese, jack cheese or a blend
- 6 bell peppers (orange, yellow, or red)
- ground white pepper
- * delicious with Hoffy Premium Beef Franks, too!
Dinner Perfect for Halloween dinner or as a special treat for the kids, creamy mac n’ cheese and tasty Hoffy Sausages fill these fun jack o’lanterns with good taste.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Liberally salt the water and cook the pasta according to the package directions, or to desired doneness. Drain the pasta well.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage pieces and sauté until golden on the underside, about 3 minutes, then turn the sausage pieces over and sauté 2 minutes more. Remove the sausage pieces from the pan and drain on paper towels.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepot over medium heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Slowly add the milk, whisking to blend well. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and add the mustard and shredded cheese. Stir until smooth. Add the cooked pasta and sausage pieces to the cheese sauce, stir well and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the tops off of each bell pepper and carefully remove the veins and seeds from the inside of each pepper. Using a sharp paring knife cut out jack o’lantern eyes, nose and mouth. To serve, fill each bell pepper jack o’lantern with the Sausage Mac n’ Cheese.