- 1-1/2 cup(s) yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1-1/2 cup(s) whole milk
- 1 package (8) Hoffy Premium Beef Franks
- 8 wooden skewers or chopsticks
- 2 quart(s) Vegetable oil, for frying
Dinner Who doesn’t love a Corn Dog? This delicious homemade version is perfect for Halloween parties and pre-trick-or-treating eats!
Recipe created especially for HOFFY by Chef Jamie Gwen.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir well.
- Add the beaten egg and milk and whisk until well blended (the batter should be a little thicker than pancake batter; add more milk if needed).
- Remove the Hoffy Hot Dogs from the package and dry them well on paper towels (this will help the batter adhere better). Insert a skewer or wooden stick into each hot dog.
- Pour the batter into a tall drinking glass. Holding by the skewer, dunk the hot dog into the batter to coat well.
- Lift the hot dog out of the batter, allowing excess batter to drip off.
- Gently place the corn dog into the hot oil (stick and all!). Cook for 3 minutes, or until the corn dog is golden brown all over, turning the corn dog in the oil, as necessary.
- Remove the corn dog from the oil and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining hot dogs.
- Serve with ketchup, for dipping.