- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 teaspoon(s) olive oil
- 8 slices Hoffy Premium Bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 leek, cleaned and diced
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 8 ounce(s) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounce(s) shredded Fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, cut into thin strips
- Fresh Pepper, ground
Lunch Perfect for a brunch buffet or a Spring lunch, alongside a green salad, this bacon and tomato tart is full of wonderful flavor.
Recipe created especially for HOFFY by Chef Jamie Gwen.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet into a 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Cut 4 (8 x 1-inch) strips from the pastry and place the strips along the outer edges of the pastry rectangle.
- Place the rectangle on a small baking sheet and place the strips on all four sides, to form a border. Poke the middle of the puff pastry with a fork. Bake at 400º for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook, stirring often, until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease in the pan and add the leeks. Sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often, or until the leeks are tender and caramelized.
- Add the cooked bacon back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Top the baked puff pastry with the bacon/leek mixture. Sprinkle the tart with the mozzarella cheese. Top with the tomato slices in a single layer. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish with basil and serve.