- 15 jalapeños
For the batter:
- 2 cup(s) Wondra flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup(s) beer
For the filling
- 3 Hoffy beef franks
- 1 cup(s) cream cheese
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Cornstarch, for dredging
- Lime wedges
Appetizer A spicy addition to any gathering, Hoffy Franks add just the right bite to these poppers.
- Make a slit vertically down one edge of the jalapeños.
- With a paring knife and small spoon clean out the jalapeños of seeds and pith. Do not touch face or eyes while cleaning the peppers. Wash hands afterward.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl and stir so fully mixed.
- Combine eggs and beer, pour over dry ingredients and stir to combine. Let it sit while you prepare the poppers.
Cook and serve:
- Cut hot dogs in half lengthwise, and each half, again in half lengthwise.
- Cut hot dog quarters into lengths to fit into jalapeños.
- Place one piece in the center of each jalapeño and fill with cream cheese.
- Place jalapeños over fire of gas stove to char turning until browned lightly on each side.
(If you don't have a gas stove, place jalapeños on a baking sheet under the broiler turning once until lightly charred.)
- Place toothpick in each jalapeño to keep slit closed.
- Heat 2 to 3 inches of oil in a pan over medium high heat.
- Dredge jalapeños in cornstarch and holding the stem dip in the batter. Carefully remove from the batter and shake off the excess.
- Drop in oil and fry about 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with salt and serve with lime wedges.